Are you an animal lover? If yes then certainly you would love to have a pet or you might have one at home. The fact cannot be denied that raising pets also have many responsibilities. This little furry can occur mishaps on the floors, the bed, or even on your clothes.
It’s vital to clean the stains and remove the odor from the targeted location. For the reason that your furry friend can become a repeat offender if the odor stays back. This is because the odor of old pee will attract your pet and it will urinate in the same area again and again.
Nowadays people think blotting the affected area with a paper is enough. Actually, it needs extra attention or else you may regret it in the future.
What should you do when you locate a spill?
Firstly, stay calm but respond to the spills rapidly. Responding quickly to stain will restrict the liquid to penetrate deep inside. If it is hard surface and left for drying it will make the situation worse. Besides that, you will find more difficult to clean it.
- Soak the urine as much as possible using paper towels.
- Once you’ve done with the blotting of the area, spray the stain with an enzyme-based cleaner using a spray bottle. Enzymes are the ideal choice because it breaks the acid in the urine down into carbon dioxide and ammonia gases that easily evaporates evicting the smell. Besides that, non-toxic enzymes cleaners are easily available at the pet stores. You can go with a home solution to, take a vinegar solution (1-part vinegar and 1 part of water) and wipe it off.
- Soak the area with the spray and leave it at least for 10 minutes, until the solution is absorbed.
- Then blot the excess residue using a paper towel and leave to dry.
- When the area becomes completely dry sprinkle some sodium bicarbonate across the stain and leave for 24 hours. Baking soda acts as a sanitizer and pulls out any left-out smell. For carpet, you should vacuum the area to remove any remaining powder and you can also spray some scent to have a nice fresh smelling air in your room.
This same procedure can be used for mattress, carpet, floor, upholstery etc.
Things to avoid when cleaning pet urine
- Never use a hair dryer or steam cleaner to dry the affected area, as it will help the liquid and stain to enter deep into the fibers and smell it badly later. This includes upholstery and clothing – keep wash settings on cool and air dry.
- Never use the regular soap or carpet wash to clean the area after applying an enzyme cleaner or the homemade cleaner (vinegar), as it will deactivate the neutralization process. All I want to say the smell will remain.
- Never clean the area with ammonia-based cleaners, as the smell will attract your furry friend to re-target the area.
If your carpet or upholstery is in bad condition, it’s better you call a professional carpet cleaner and ask them to focus more on the area of concern, so they know to take prior precautions before cleaning.
How to clean pet urine from clothes?
If your pet urinates on clothing by mistake or anything else which can be washed in washing machine. Don’t worry just rinse the area well under cold water. Then put the fabric into the washing machine with the setting kept cold, and add detergent and a cup of baking soda.
If still the odor remains, repeat the process but this time add a cup of apple vinegar to the cycle and spray it directly on to the stain before putting again to wash. As we said before, always air dry does not use steamer or dryer, as both will lock in the smell.
Now you are aware of the tips and tricks to clean pet urine, so don’t worry about the spills go and enjoy with your furry friend.
If you are looking for odor or stain removal, you can contact All Pro Carpet and Tile Care. We have become a popular choice for residential and commercial owners in Bakersfield.
We provide odor and stain removal services in Bakersfield and nearby areas. Furthermore, we also provide other cleaning services like carpet cleaning, upholstery cleaning, tile and grout cleaning, power washing, commercial cleaning, and rug cleaning.
Call us today at 661-747-4441 to avail our best offers and services.